Monday 21 February 2022

INTRODUCING BEATRICE PNG

Hello! My name is Beatrice Png and I am currently a third year BA (Hons) History of Art and Museum Studies student at Liverpool John Moores University. Prior to my degree studies, I've worked for seven years as a creative designer in Singapore where I was responsible for preparing and executing key visuals, marketing materials and content for events. I love illustrating quirky scenarios and was part of a collective called Briefs and we created art for events that could be easily accessed by people. 

During my time off from work, I enjoyed visits to the museums and galleries; drawing inspiration and delighted in the deciphering of artworks. Upon realisation that there were courses to partake in the study of art history and museum studies, I decided to pursue this degree to develop my interest. 

During the summer of 2021, I interned with Tmesis Theatre as a marketing assistant for Physical Fest where my duties involved researching on the participating artists' bodies of work, devising a design template that was cohesive throughout the event's social media pages and increasing traffic online by generating content. Making full use of my  holidays, I also interned with the Faculty of Engineering and Technology at LJMU as a marketing support and applied copywriting, data filing and admin skills to update the courses' fact files.

In my recent dissertation submission, I explored how African-American artists' have utilised Black stereotypes in their works, and if they've reinforced the narrative of the stereotype or if they've managed to reclaim them. I'm currently working on a project that explores the history of hand-washed Chinese laundrettes in Liverpool. I intend to align my education in art history alongside my design and marketing skills and forge a career in the events and marketing department for galleries, museums and organisation that champion communities. 

Here is a link to my design portfolio https://cargocollective.com/beatbeatsbeat and the link to my art history blog guingmesoftly-hardly.tumblr.com/